Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reed: Correspondence

The So. Calif. Genealogical Society reports the availability of photos of US Civil War Soldiers. 80,000 are indexed. You can call (717-245-3434) or write Michael J. Winey, Curator - Dept. of Army - US Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks, PA 17013-5998. Needed is the soldier's name, state, regiment and company. If the picture is found, you will receive a photocopy & info on how to order a print.



From: Alfred W. Crosby [mailto:acrosby@nantucket.net]
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 7:26 AM
To: Ric Manning
Subject: Re: Civil War battle of Lewis Farm

Dear Ric,

Thanks for your letter. it is one of the very, very few pieces of corroborative evidence I have that the skirmish at Lewis Farm ever happened or that Elisha Crosby ever really existed. His death somehow near killed the family. War, y'know, just may be bad for people. If you find any more pertinent information, please tell me,

Al

On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Ric Manning wrote:

Hello Prof. Cosby,

I can across your 1998 article “Consequences of the Skirmish at Lewis Farm” in American Heritage while looking for details about that particular battle. I also have an ancestor who, like Elisha Cosby, was wounded in that fight on March 29 and died the next day at City Point. Orrin C. Reed, my great-great-great grandfather, had enlisted at Cortland County served in Company G of the 185th Regiment. Lt. Hiram Clark, who is mentioned in your article, was also in that company.

I had found very few details about the fight on that particular day and I appreciated your description. I have been reading about Joshua Chamberlain, the hero of Gettysburg, and was surprised to learn that he was in command of that operation.

If you have any more information about that battle or research sources you could point me to, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks again for an good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment